Thursday, February 13, 2014

"Apple Butter"

I love having something sweet on my toast at breakfast.  However, jelly has so many unnecessary calories and lots of simple sugars.  Apple butter is one step better, but even most apple butters have more added sugar than I would prefer.  So, as I made my eggs and whole wheat toast for breakfast, I was trying to think of a quick, easy substitute.  Since I have natural, unsweetened applesauce on hand (leftover from the last batch of protein cookies) I decided that I should be able to doctor it up into something resembling apple butter without all the added simples sugar.  Here is what I came up with.

"Apple Butter"

1/2 c. natural unsweetened applesauce
1Tbsp. cinnamon
2-3 Tbsp. Stevia (or Splenda or other sweetener of your choice)

Mix the above ingredients together and serve on toast.  Adjust the cinnamon and sweetener to taste.  :)

Nutrition facts
Makes 16 servings of 1 Tbsp each
Calories 7
Carbs 2g
Fat 0g
Protein 0g
Sodium 1mg
Sugar 1g


No comments:

Post a Comment