1) I was out of chocolate protein powder so I substituted vanilla protein powder, but I added more cocoa powder.
2) I also tried using Hershey's Special Dark cocoa powder instead of my standard Nestle's cocoa powder.
3) My last batch dried out a little faster than I liked, so I changed the ratio of applesauce to Greek yogurt. We now have more Greek yogurt than applesauce and it seems to have made them more moist.
I thought the old ones were amazing, but these are EVEN BETTER!! :-) Enjoy...
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 2 cups Old Fashioned Rolled Oats
- 4 scoops vanilla flavored whey protein powder
- 1 ½ cups Stevia
- 1 c. Hershey’s Special Dark cocoa powder
- ¾ tsp baking soda
- ¾ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 1 c. dried cherries (optional)
- 1 c. pecans (optional)
- Wet ingredients
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- ¾ cup egg whites
- ½ c unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tsp almond extract
- Preheat the oven to 375F.
- In a large bowl, mix all the dry ingredients together with a whisk, until very well combined.
- In a medium bowl, add the wet ingredients and combine with a whisk until well incorporated.
- Mix wet to dry and fold delicately just to combine. (Or, if I'm honest, I sometimes just dump all the ingredients in one bowl and turn on the electric mixer...)
- Drop by tablespoonfuls, 12 at a time, onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or onto cookie sheet sprayed with Pam. Press each cookie down slightly with a fork to make a flat disc instead of a rounded ball.
- Bake for about 9-10 minutes or until the cookies start set up and no longer look wet in the cracks on the top of the cookie.
- Cool completely on a cooling rack.
- Refrigerate leftover cookies.