Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Healthy Chicken Salad

So I was craving chicken salad today and went searching for a "healthy" version of a recipe.  I wanted one that wasn't full of Mayo and other non-healthy items.  After an extensive search, I found enough recipes that I decided to try out my own based on what I wanted in there.  What I came up with was a quick, easy low-cal, high protein tasty snack/lunch idea. --Tony

Here is what you will need for ingredients......

2-- 5 oz  cans of chunk chicken breast (if you're in a hurry, other wise when you do your food prep, cook an extra couple of chicken breasts and freeze for future use)
1/2 of red onion
1/4 cup of dried cranberries
1/2 cup of diced apple (I prefer a pink lady or a gala...more of a bite than a red delicious)
6 small sweet gherkins
1 cup of red grapes
1/2 cup of plain greek yogurt
1 teaspoon of freshly squeezed lemon
garlic powder (around 1/4 tsp)
black pepper (around 1/4 tsp)

Dice up your red onion, sweet gherkins, and your apple.  Halve your grapes.  Toss in a bowl with the chicken (once you've drained it) and the lemon juice.  Add your greek yogurt ( adding more or less depending on how creamy you want it, just beware it will change the nutritional value) and seasonings.  Stir up and chill it in the fridge until you're ready to eat and enjoy!

You can change it up how you want, like omitting the dried cranberries which cuts out most of the carbs.
Here are the nutritional numbers that I got when I plugged it into My Fitness Pal.

I say the recipe can serve 4 people so these numbers are per serving....

Calories--150
Carbs--21
Fat--1
Protein--15
Sodium--426


No comments:

Post a Comment