White Chicken Chili
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (14 ounces each) chicken broth (can use low sodium to make it healthier)
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) great northern beans, drained, divided
- Chopped jalapeno pepper, optional
- In a Dutch oven over medium heat, cook chicken and onion in oil until lightly browned. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the broth, chilies, cumin, oregano and cayenne; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low. With a potato masher, mash one can of beans until smooth. Add to saucepan. Add remaining beans to saucepan. Simmer for 20-30 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink and onion is tender.
- If you like a creamier chicken chili, stir in plain Greek yogurt a few minutes before serving and heat through.
- Top each serving jalapeno pepper if desired.
- Yield: 10 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
Nutritional Facts: 1 cup (calculated without jalapeno or yogurt) equals 219 calories, 7 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 37 mg cholesterol, 644 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 19 g protein.
Adapted from a Taste of Home recipe